Call for Oral Sessions - now closed
The International Federation of Dental Hygienists (IFDH), in collaboration with the Dental Hygienists Association of Australia (DHAA), invites colleagues from the international community to submit proposals to be considered for the oral sessions at the 21st International Symposium on Dental Hygiene. Oral sessions will be held on August 15, 16 and 17, 2019 in Brisbane, Australia.
Oral sessions will be held within 45 minute, 60 minute and 90 minute time frames pertaining to the theme of the conference, LEAD: Leadership, Empowerment, Advances, and Diversity. Preference will be given to proposals that include two speakers (content expert and a dental hygienist who translates how that information can be used in practice) and incorporate significant time for questions and answers. For example, a content expert might speak on Leadership for 20 minutes, partner with a dental hygienist who discusses how that information can be used in practice speaking for 20 minutes, followed by Q&A with the audience for 20 minutes. Or, a researcher speaks for 20 minutes in the Advances theme with a dental hygienist who translates the science to practice speaking for 20 minutes, followed by Q&A with the audience for 20 minutes.
Themes for the conference are open to interpretation, but should relate specifically to the dental hygiene profession. Examples include, but are not limited to:
Leadership: Leadership models in practice, leadership challenges in health care for the next decade, coaching and mentoring, succession planning;
Empowerment: empowering hygienists in the workplace; empowering patients; empowering students;
Advances: research that supports advances in education, science, or clinical care;
Diversity: oral health for diverse population groups.
Proposals should include a title, three objectives for the session, a brief course description, and curriculum vitae of each speaker.
All proposals must follow the oral proposal template and be submitted through the Oral Proposal Submission Portal by 30 April 2018. Please note that the closing date for proposal submissions will not be extended.Click here to download the oral proposal template
Submit Oral Proposal
You can access the online submission form using the 'Submit Oral Proposal’ button above. You will need to set up a new user account and create a log in and password, before you can submit your proposal. You will be able to use that log in and password to re-enter the submission portal to make edits to your draft oral proposal up until the submission deadline.
You will be required to submit your contact details and details of your proposal (Oral Proposal Title, presenters, Topic, etc.). At the end of this form you should upload your proposal as a document file.
After submitting your proposal, you will receive a confirmation of oral proposal submission email from the ISDH 2019 Symposium Secretariat.
Please ensure that all the required information is completed as requested. If you experience any problems during the online submission process, please contact the ISDH 2019 Symposium Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on + 61 7 3255 1002.
All accepted oral proposals will be made available to Symposium delegates. Authors are responsible for proof reading and submitting a proposal without errors, as they will be reproduced in the format they were submitted. The corresponding author is responsible for the proposal content. This author is the contact person for submission or communication purposes and is also responsible for disseminating information related to the co-authors.
Dates and Deadlines
|Call for Oral Proposals open||19 February 2018|
|Call for Oral Proposals close||30 April 2018|
|Notifications to Authors||30 June 2018|
Oral Proposal Submission Guidelines
- Please read all instructions before typing the proposals on the form.
- Proof read your proposal carefully. The oral proposal will be reproduced directly from this form.
- The typeface character should be Arial and font size 12. Dot matrix print is not acceptable. Type must be in black.
- The maximum number of words for an oral proposal is 400; no exceptions.
- Proposals must be written in English.
- The proposal must be single-spaced. Include a double space between each paragraph. Use a narrative text, and do not include any graphs, tables or references.
- Proposals must be submitted using the Oral Proposal Submission Portal.
- Presentations of accepted proposals must reflect the proposal’s content. All presenters for the oral session must register for the meeting at the appropriate registration fee.
Oral Proposals may be submitted under one of the following presentation types:
- 45 minutes
- 60 minutes
- 90 minutes
Oral Proposal Selection Criteria
Proposals will be selected on the basis of the scientific quality of the work as judged by the submission. Submissions will undergo a double-blind review process. Each proposal must be no more than 400 words and contain the following elements.
- Course title is engaging and relevant.
- Objectives are clearly stated and appropriate.
- Proposal session fits one of the four themes of the symposium.
- Course description reflects current science and relevance for dental hygienists.
- Proposal session is designed according to specified criteria. (Preference will be given to criteria met in call for proposals for oral sessions, time frame, multiple speakers, time allotted for Q&A interaction with audience.)
- Proposal includes one sentence describing how this session aligns with the theme of the conference.
- Speakers’ credentials are credible.
Terms and Conditions
The submission of an oral proposal indicates an understanding of the following rules for participation in the Symposium:
- All presenter(s) approve submitting this work for presentation
- The presenter(s) transfer(s) all copyright ownership of the oral proposal to the Symposium
- The presenter(s) agree(s) to materially confine their presentations to information in the oral proposal if accepted for presentation. If a presenter has more than one proposal accepted, each presentation will be materially confined to the information in the oral proposal selected for the specific session
- At least one presenter will be available to present the oral proposal if selected for the program. The speakers will immediately notify the Symposium Secretariat if they are unable to present an oral proposal or if the presenting speaker/s is changed. The organisers reserve the right to remove a presentation from the program
Notification to Presenters
- Corresponding presenters will be notified of acceptance by 30 June 2018. All accepted oral proposals must be presented by at least one presenter.
- Proposals are submitted to an allocated session, it is not possible to change the date, time or type of presentation
- Presenters must register by 31 October 2018.